We started out bright and early today and set off to do some chores – buy the weekend papers and a few magazines, drop by the bookstore to get a new novel, pick up a few cigars for my husband and last but not least, head to the English Butcher to buy some meat for the weekend. We picked up a few pork chops, some baby-back ribs and the smallest leg of lamb we could find (about 2 kilos) then went back home.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Prick a large aubergine (I used three medium-sized ones) all over and place in a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes, turning over after the first 20 minutes.
- Let it cool then slice lengthwise in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon.
- Whirl 1 peeled garlic clove in the food processor and add the eggplant flesh. Process until smooth.
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon zest and the juice of 1 lemon.
- Stir in 1/2 tablespoon of tahini (optional, but I like the zing it adds to the aubergines).
- Stir in some parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with warm pita bread, olives and Feta cheese or as we did, as an accompaniment to lamb.
- Enough for 4 as a side dish or dip.