- Mayorano (Ave. Alvear 1824 in Recoleta, Tel: +5411 4804 2398) – for classic designs including a replica of the sought-after Hermes Birkin, this boutique is a must. trendy leather jackets, skirts and small items are also available.
- Cappio (Ave. Alvear corner Callao in Recoleta) – two doors down from Mayorano, t.his boutique copies designs of the season’s IT bags. On my recent visit, they had the YSL Muse and Downtown and the Chanel slouchy bag
- Humawaca (Posadas 1380 in Recoleta and El Salvador 4692 in Palermo Soho) – trendy leather goods accentuated by cowhide, best for chic laptop bags and funky designs.
- De Maria (Libertad 1655 in Recoleta, Tel: +54 11 4815 5001) – Handmade trendy shoes
- Lopez Taibo (Ave. Alvear cor. Ayacucho) – traditional styles but good-quality leather, great for men’s shoes and women’s jackets.
- Guido (Quintana 333 in Recoleta, Tel:+54 11 4811 4567) – handmade leather shoes for men and women, the styles are very traditional but the quality is exceptional. The Quintana branch is housed in a period building with wooden interiors worth a visit.
For clothes –
- Evangelina Bomparola (Quintana 20 in Recoleta, Tel: +54 11 4814 2553) – stylish simple designs that last for seasons. Expensive but worth the price.
- Tombolini – (Patio Bullrich) an Italian brand that has both imported and locally-made suits, also has a women’s collection.
- Paula Cahen D’Anvers (in most shopping malls plus a big, shiny new store in Palermo Viejo) – classic preppy wear with a twist in a palette of black, white, grey and beige similar to Paris’ Vanessa Bruno There is also a children’s line. Not cheap but quality is good.
For personalized cards and stationery –
- Larreburu (Quintana 280, Tel:+5411 4811 4505 or email@example.com) – The Argentine equivalent of Smythson or Mrs. John L. Strong for a fraction of the price. Engraved cards are delivered in an antique-looking green box.
For guided tours –
- Eternautas – historical and cultural tours with a knowledgeable guide, the City Walk tours are especially entertaining.
For lodging –
- ApartmentsBA – we rented a very well-located apartment in Recoleta through this company. Great selection of furnished and reasonably-priced short-term rentals.